PLEASE NOTE: In order to best serve our clients, our office will remain open for business. To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients and prospective clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to best serve our clients, our office will remain open for business. To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients and prospective clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing.

It is easy to assume that if the air you are breathing smells fine, it is fine. What many people might not realize is that even air that smells good might still be dangerous for you to breathe. The presence of carbon monoxide in the air in your home, office or vehicle could be deadly.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. In the absence of a carbon monoxide detector, you might not ever know that the air you breathe is compromised by this gas.

Where does carbon monoxide come from?

Carbon monoxide is a natural byproduct created when certain things burn. Propane, wood, gas and other fuels all produce this gas.

This is why it is necessary to have a well ventilated area if you are burning any of these items, including fuel that is burned through the combustion of an engine. Because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, you need to open the garage before you start your vehicle.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often difficult to spot. In fact, a person who is sleeping or under the influence of drugs or alcohol might not ever realize something is amiss. Some of the more common symptoms include shortness of breath, dizziness, a dull headache, confusion, weakness, loss of consciousness, blurry vision and nausea.

A person who has symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning should get fresh air and seek medical attention if necessary. This condition can lead to irreversible brain damage, which can occur even before you realize that there is a problem.

What are the treatments for this condition?

Often, doctors won’t wait for blood tests to come back before they start treating a person who is thought to have carbon monoxide poisoning. One of the most common treatments that you will receive is breathing pure oxygen through a mask or with the help of a ventilator. It is possible that some people who have this condition might need to receive hyperbaric oxygen therapy in a special pressurized chamber.

How can I protect myself and my family?

One of the best ways to protect yourself and your family is to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. You should also make sure that you burn fuel in accordance with the instructions, which call for proper ventilation. This includes avoiding the use of charcoal grills and generators indoors. In fact, you should give these items and other similar engines and appliances plenty of room between them and your home. Also, make sure that your fireplace is in good repair before you use it.