The weather is starting to cool off after the summer heat in Connecticut. With cooler temperatures comes a need to heat your home. Most people use a heat source that is also a source of carbon monoxide, the dangerous gas with no smell or taste that costs people their lives every year.

To stay safe, you have to understand the risks of CO poisoning. You also need to know where it comes from and how it can become dangerous to you and your family. CO safety is important, so here are three facts that you should know about this deadly gas.

  1. Prevention is key

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explain that preventing CO poisoning is key. Once it happens, you may have little ability to prevent it from ending up deadly. Prevention starts with having detectors in your home and ensuring that all fuel-burning appliances are in good condition. You also should report any gas odors you smell right away.

  1. Poisoning is like the flu

You may not realize that you are suffering from CO poisoning until it is too late. The early symptoms feel a lot like the flu. They eventually transition into a feeling of sleepiness or drunkenness where you begin to lose the ability to function.

  1. It is plentiful

Anything that burns a fuel source produces carbon monoxide. Your furnace that runs on propane, your stove-top that uses natural gas and the wood-burning stove you heat your cabin with all produce this gas. To stay safe, you have to make sure that your appliances have proper venting. A blocked or leaky vent could put you in danger.

Carbon monoxide is scary because it can poison you quickly. Understanding how it gets into your home and how to prevent it is the best way to protect yourself and your family.