People often underestimate the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Did you know that some reports claim there are thousands of fatal incidents in North America every year? This is clearly a very dangerous substance that you need to be careful with and that you want to avoid when possible.
Part of what makes it so dangerous is that you can’t see, smell or taste it. It’s hard to avoid something if you don’t even know that it’s there. A lot of people who pass away didn’t realize they were being exposed to a highly toxic substance. This is why it’s so important to understand what symptoms may occur. If you see these symptoms, they may be the only warning signs that you get.
You will likely feel sick
Generally, carbon monoxide poisoning is going to make you feel ill. You may not know why, but you could feel like you have the flu or you’re coming down with something. Some of the most common symptoms include things like:
- Shortness of breath
- Vomiting or nausea
- A headache
- Blurred vision
In the worst cases, you can even lose consciousness and you may pass away. Your body is not able to get the oxygen that it needs because of the carbon monoxide in the air, and this can be a fatal condition.
This is why it’s so dangerous if people are exposed to carbon monoxide while they are drinking, using drugs or sleeping. All three of these things can make it so that you don’t see how bad your symptoms are getting and so that no one around you would recognize the symptoms. If you’re asleep and the environment that is becoming progressively filled with carbon monoxide, you may simply not wake up.
Have you been injured or lost a loved one?
If you’ve lost a loved one due to carbon monoxide poisoning or you’ve suffered serious injuries yourself, even though you survived, it’s very important to understand all the legal options at your disposal. Many of those who go through something like this wind up with different levels of brain damage, which can be very expensive to treat and which may change the rest of your life.