A Connecticut Personal Injury Firm Committed To Excellence

North Haven, CT - skyline

Connecticut Premises Liability Lawyers

Hotels, apartment complexes, bars and other establishments are required to provide a safe environment for their clients. Unfortunately, many people suffer serious injuries on the property of others each year. Slip-and-fall accidents are the most well-known form of premises liability cases. But, unsafe conditions on property can lead to a wide range of accidents or other causes of injury.

Inadequate security in an apartment complex, for instance, may lead to substantial harm to residents and guests. When a property owner, or property manager, is negligent in not maintaining a safe property, accident victims may be able to recover compensation to help put their lives back together.

Contact us to learn how we can help you recover compensation for your injuries or the loss of a loved one from this type of premises liability action. Our accomplished negligent security lawyers are accessible online or by calling us at 203-896-4631 for a free initial consultation.

Common Causes of Premises Liability Accidents

  • Negligent security: Inadequate lighting or negligent security can result in violent crimes such as rape, battery, assault and even death.
  • Assault and sexual assault: To show that inadequate security contributed to a rape, assault, shooting or stabbing, it is usually necessary to show that a business owner knew, or should have known, that failure to provide security guards, adequate lighting, security cameras or properly secured premises could result in injury.
  • Slip-and-fall accidents: Often, these cases arise because of the conditions of the premises. Sometimes, snow and ice that has not been cleared away cause problems.
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning: This may occur because of faulty equipment that is not up to code.
  • Building code violations: There are specific building codes that need to be upheld to ensure that buildings are safe for individuals. There are rules about staircases, elevators and public areas in general.
  • Dog bites: Owners can be held responsible when a dog or animal attacks.

Answers To Your Questions About Premises Liability

Prospective clients often come to us with numerous questions for which they need answers. We can give you all the information you need about personal injuries and premises liability claims. Here are a few questions to get you started.

What should I do if I was injured at someone else’s home, a store or another location?

First, seek medical attention as quickly as you can. If you can, take pictures with your phone or a camera to document the scene of the accident. Report the incident to the property owner, but do not answer any questions if their insurance company representative gets in touch with you. Contact a personal injury attorney to learn about your legal options.

What if a dog bit my child or me?

Animal owners have a responsibility to prevent their pets from attacking other people. Their homeowner’s insurance might cover your damages; if not, you might have to file a lawsuit against the insurer. This is not the same thing as suing your neighbor; you are suing a corporation, not a person.

What are my options after a boating accident?

More than one party can have liability for a boating accident. These could include the municipality in which the body of water is located, the other boater who caused your injury, the vehicle rental company or the boating manufacturer. If the at-fault party’s insurance provider does not offer a fair settlement, you will need an attorney to help you with an injury claim. Even if an individual boat owner does not have boating insurance, you may have the option of filing a lawsuit to recover compensation for your damages.

If I slipped and fell on someone else’s premises, do I have an actionable claim?

Slip-and-fall accidents are very common incidents that can cause severe injuries. You might have grounds for a lawsuit if:

  1. The owner of the premises created the condition that caused your accident
  2. The owner knew or should have known about the condition and did not fix it

If one of these criteria exists in your slip-and-fall accident, then you might have grounds for a lawsuit.

What can I do if my child suffered an injury at school, camp or while playing a sport?

Every parent wants to help their child after an injury. Schools and other entities are usually eager to help, but their insurance providers are not always eager to pay. You want to maintain good relations, yet recover fair compensation to pay your child’s medical bills. You will need a lawyer who can help you communicate effectively during what is often a delicate situation, particularly if a lawsuit is necessary.

It Is Important To Act Promptly After A Serious Accident

Accident victims and their families should focus on the health and physical recovery of the injured person after a serious accident. Sadly, business and property owners often just want the issue to go away without any liability. It is critical for victims or their family members to act promptly. Evidence and memories of potential witnesses can fade. Reconstructing what actually happened can become more difficult as time passes.

Families and victims often face life-changing circumstances and financial burdens. Holding wrongdoers and negligent actors responsible for causing harm is an honorable way for families to put the pieces back together, as well as obtain the compensation to help maximize recovery both physically and financially.

In Connecticut, there is a two-year statute of limitations to bring a lawsuit in premises liability cases. While two years from the date of the accident may seem like ample time, delays can complicate the entire claims and recovery process. Obtaining legal guidance as soon as possible can be beneficial. Opening a full investigation into the facts sooner, rather than later, is critical in developing a strong case to obtain the best possible results.

Contact Our Firm | Get Your Questions Answered

If you need the help of a premises liability attorney, please contact Williams, Walsh & O'Connor, LLC, in North Haven, Connecticut, for a free initial consultation. Our firm can be reached by phone at 203-896-4631 or by email.

Let Us Help You

Request A FREE Consultation.